Reem Shahwa Reports!
PERODUA Malaysia Masters 2018 presented by DAIHATSU Signing Ceremony
Friday, October 6, 2017
My earliest memory of watching badminton was that defining match when Rashid Sidek beat Jono Suprianto to reach the semi finals of the Olympics in Atlanta.
I was 11 and it made me want to pick up a badminton racket which then turned out to be one of the sports I'd frequently play. Was I a pro? Not at all, but I could get in a couple of forehand smashes every now and then!
Ask any Malaysian, and badminton will always have a soft sport in our hearts thanks to the men's doubles bronze medal won by Razif and Jalani Sidek back in '92. First Olympic medal ever for Malaysia.
Also, we've had 4 world number ones since including one Dato LEE Chong Wei. You may have heard of him. He's held the title ranking of World No 1 for more than a year, a triple silver Olympic medallist and basically a national hero.
Fast forward a few years later and I've had the pleasure of covering various badminton tournaments on the job. Some of the highlights include the Legends Vision Exhibition and the Sudirman Cup 2017 in Gold Coast.
One of the most anticipated badminton events locally is the Malaysia Masters, and it's going to get significantly bigger.
I had the chance to witness the signing ceremony between Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) with Japan's car manufacturer Daihatsu Motor Corporation.
This collaboration raises the status of the tournament from GP Gold to a Super Series level with an increased prize money from USD120,000 to USD350,000.
To quote BAM President Datuk Seri Mohamed Norza Zakaria at the ceremony - "With the Malaysia Masters upgraded to Super Series, the level of competition and status of the tournament will also increase and feature at least 10 top players in the world".
What that means to us fans, more exciting matches and possibly the chance to take a selfie with players like Viktor AXELSEN and SON Wan Ho!
Staging premier tournaments locally will also benefit our national players to thrive and inspire the next generation.
Speaking of the next generation of players, the executive officer of Daihatsu Motor Co, Osamu Naruse is commited to support the development of badminton in Malaysia saying, "Daihatsu will continue to deepen its interaction with customers and local communities through sports thereby bring new optimism to their lives".
Mark your calendars as the Perodua Malaysia Masters 2018, presented by Daihatsu will take place at the Axiata Arena in Bukit Jalil from the 16th - 21st of January 2018. Can't wait!
xo - Reem
Reem Shahwa Mohd Redza (born 31 October, 1985)
She is a TV Host on Astro Super Sport. She first got her start as a broadcast journalist for NTV 7, then she was called in for an audition by ESPN to be a newscaster and got a job as co-anchor on ESPN Sports Center (Malay version).
- DAIHATSU YONEX JAPAN OPEN 2018 BADMINTON CHAMPIONSHIPS
- Japanese Players at the Forefront of the Badminton World -Who are the players Kumiko OGURA will be watching closely at the DAIHATSU YONEX JAPAN OPEN 2018 BADMINTON CHAMPIONSHIPS-
- BWF World Tour Super 750 “DAIHATSU YONEX JAPAN OPEN 2018 BADMINTON CHAMPIONSHIPS” -Daihatsu sponsors the Japan Open for the second year in a row-
- Tournament Overview/Schedule
- HULIC・DAIHATSU Japan Para-Badminton International 2018
- Continuing on from last year, Daihatsu is sponsoring the Para-Badminton International again! “HULIC・DAIHATSU Japan Para-Badminton International 2018”
- Tournament Overview/Schedule
- TOTAL BWF Thomas & Uber Cup 2018
- TOTAL BWF Thomas & Uber Cup 2018 Japanese National Team Players and New Uniform Presentation Press Conference Report